LETTER OF THE WEEK

Each week in my class I centre on a letter and it's accompanying sound for a whole week! Most of my akonga come in with very low literacy levels so need to revisit the sound and letter many many many MANY times and in many many many different ways in order to learn them.

 I do an adapted 15 minute Yolanda Soryl phonics session at level 2 which also includes some music and movement courtesy of Go Noodle and You Tube. My akonga at other levels go to different teachers so I can really concentrate on those early learners. My session is around 20 minutes. It is fast, fun and a large dollop of concentrated learning.

My akonga really enjoy Usher's ABC and it sets a nice fun tone to learning. They are also very kinesthetic and visual learners so it really makes a difference. We always finish with a Have Fun Teaching song and ABC Mouse as they both help expand the vocab of low literacy students and teach consonants, sounds and letter formation.

My lesson looks something like this...
Usher's ABC
Meet Mr Tongue
Picture cards
Letter formation-in air, on boards with white board pens
Sound story
Word of the week
Revision of previous weeks letters
Have fun teaching song
ABC mouse song


No comments:

Post a Comment